Money raised for Trump election fights would help cover campaign debt

Washington – President Trump refusing to recognize Victory for President-elect Joe Biden and continuing to declare himself the falsely winner of the White House, the president and his campaign are soliciting donations from supporters for an “election defense fund” designed to “uphold the integrity” of the election.

But the fine print shows that the total amount contributed to help the Trump campaign does not serve to ensure that all votes are legally counted. Instead, at least half of every donation will go towards paying off campaign debts, the donation pages say.

For each contribution made to the joint Trump campaign fundraising committee with the Republican National Committee, 60% will be deposited into the campaign’s general election account for debt repayment, or into the campaign’s recount account if that debt has been reimbursed. The remaining 40% will go to the operating account of the Republican National Committee. Any additional money would be deposited into the lawsuit account or the party’s head office account.

For donations to Trump campaign more precisely, 50% of each will be used to pay off their debt and the remaining 50% will be deposited into their recount account.

The most recent federal campaign fundraising records available showed the Trump campaign with $ 60 million in cash at the start of October. The campaign would continue to spend more than $ 160 million on TV ads in the last month before the election.

CBS News projected Mr Biden as the winner of the presidential race on Saturday, as he cleared the 270 electoral votes needed to secure the White House. But Mr. Trump refused to concede the election and instead falsely claimed he was the winner.

The president and his allies also alleged that the election was fraught with fraud and have sued in a multitude of states in an attempt to plead their way to the White House. Lawsuits in Nevada, Georgia, Pennsylvania and Michigan have, however, been dismissed by judges in those states, and Mr. Trump’s campaign has yet to provide evidence of widespread fraud.

Still, Mr Trump is trying to gain support for his legal battles, sending fundraising appeals that say the election is “far from over” as election results have yet to be released. certified by states and some states will conduct recounts.

“The American people have a right to an honest election; it means counting all legal ballots and not counting illegal ballots,” read a fundraising email sent Sunday. “This is the only way to ensure that the public has full confidence in our elections.”

States have varying dates for certifying the results of their elections, and December 8 is the deadline to determine their presidential voters and resolve any electoral disputes.

Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger said on Friday that the state probably heading for a recount because of the margin of votes between Mr. Biden and Mr. Trump. The president-elect currently leads by 10,501 votes in Peach State. Even without Georgia, Biden’s predicted victories in Pennsylvania and Nevada put him above the 270-vote threshold needed to win in the Electoral College.

The Trump campaign has also said it will demand a recount in Wisconsin, where Mr Biden is ahead by 20,539 votes.

Nicole Sganga contributed reporting.

Source link

About Sonia Martinez

Check Also

CEO describes Swahili Honey’s journey

Central Park Bees buys honey from around 1,300 smallholder farmers in Tanzania. When Tanzanian businessman …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *